Building Safety in the Summer


Summer is a time for fun in the sun but sobering images like this one, remind us that it’s important to stay safe and keep our wits about us in the warm weather:

northam burrows burnt out after summer fire

This visitor centre in North Devon is thought to have caught ablaze after fire spread to the wooden building from a nearby outside bin.  Apparently this had been started by a disposable BBQ thrown in the bin, which perhaps was not completely extinguished.

This highlights the importance not only of making sure that disposable BBQs are well and truly out before you move them, but from a building maintenance perspective, the importance of making sure any outdoor bins and skips are not placed adjacent to buildings, in case they do catch fire.